Hailstones, no matter how small, can wreak havoc on your property. Contrary to popular belief, damage doesn’t just occur with larger hailstones; even the tiniest ones can harm structures, particularly roofs.
Recognizing the damage early on can help you address the issue before it escalates. Although hail-induced roof damage may not always be evident from the ground, specific signs suggest an inspection might be in order.
A Brief Overview of Hail
Hail consists of ice particles formed when raindrops are carried into the upper reaches of clouds with below-freezing temperatures. As these particles move within the cloud, they undergo a repetitive process of freezing, growing in size with each cycle. The stronger the updrafts, the larger the hailstones grow until they become too hefty and fall to the ground.
Several factors determine the extent of roof damage caused by hail:
- Type of roofing material
- Age of the roofing material
- Slope and direction of the roof
- Size and shape of the hailstones
- Weight of the hailstones
- Wind direction and intensity
Hail impact can lead to a myriad of roof problems such as cracks, indentations, and decay. The roof’s type and age play a crucial role in its resilience against hail damage.
Identifying Hail Damage
While many homeowners might not know exactly what to look for, there are several indicative signs of hail damage:
- Gutters and Downspouts: Dents or dings in gutters, gutter screens, or downspouts often herald roof damage. If the gutters show significant damage, it’s a strong indicator of potential roof harm.
- Windows: Check window sills, casings, and screens. Small impact marks can give clues about the roof’s state. Damaged screens, either torn or nicked, suggest hail impact.
- Air Conditioner Units: Dents or dings on exterior air conditioner unit covers or condenser coils can help determine the hail’s direction and size.
- Wooden Surfaces: Inspect painted wooden exteriors for chipped paint, a clear sign of hail damage.
If you observe damage in the mentioned areas, consider a professional roof inspection. A trained eye can better identify hail-caused shingle damage. It’s advisable to enlist a licensed roofing company for a thorough inspection.
While hail damage might not always manifest in immediate leaks or other visible problems, it can lead to complications over time. Fortunately, timely inspections by trained professionals can prevent further deterioration. Our team of specialists is ready to offer a complimentary roof inspection and provide you with a detailed report at no cost. Contact us today to schedule your free assessment!
Gulf States Roofing and Construction brings over 50 years of experience to post-storm roofing solutions, helping communities rebuild homes and restore hope in areas that have experienced natural disasters. Contact our response team today to learn more about how we repair roof storm damage while keeping you informed and comfortable every step of the way.